Wednesday, September 9, 2009

To censor or not?

As readers of this blog know, self-censorship has reared its head into the edit suite many times since I returned from Iran.

It seems that it was both a gift and somewhat of an artistic compromise that I was one of the only documentarians in Iran for the weeks surrounding the June election. What a unique experience and yet one I must tread now with precision through the memory of footage.

Of course, due to the fact that I ran free with no government interference (well accept for the times where I was almost arrested and the other times when I was followed and the other times that my phone was bugged), I ran free. To identify myself is not an option at this point.

The Iranian government, especially of late, is just a little too paranoid for its own good; I cannot trust them but then again, who can?

Okay, I understand that the fascist trajectory that the regime is now following begets censorship, but what I will never understand is how the arrests of ex-vice presidents, paralyzed journalists (through a failed State-assassination attempt) and now the reporters for Karroubi, himself the ex-Chairman of the Parliament, are fit for 21st century societies.

Should I follow with censoring the almost violent written response to one of my YouTube videos? Would this make me a better person or the same personification of the fascist regime now known as Ahmadinejad's second term as the unelected President of Iran?

For the YouTube quote, please click HERE.

Oh yeah, and let me know if I should censor as well or let all comments run free by leaving a comment yourself!

Best,

JA

No comments:

Post a Comment